Now that #blizzard2016 is behind us, and I'm no longer cutting kick-ass videos of me and my kids sledding and running amuck through the streets of DUMBO, I was finally able to sit down and crank out a schedule of events that will (1) keep Abilyn and her crew busy during the 2016 sailing season, and (2) maximize sleeplessness for my wife and mom (who really shouldn't worry because our boat has positive flotation and we sail only with proper safety and navigation equipment including, e.g., a Winslow life raft, flares, satcoms, 2 EPIRBs, and 5 GPS modules!).
The planned schedule is provided below.
Many of the events we're contemplating will likely include deliveries (e.g., from Larchmont to Newport, and then from Newport to Brooklyn). If you're interested in sailing aboard Abilyn for any potential deliveries, or in a regatta, please e-mail us. We're always to happy to initiate the uninitiated. Just remember, when trying to bring the kite down, if you feel a snag, don't pull harder!
Boat work / mast prep as necessary and as weather permits
- Re-do bottom
- Compound/wax topsides and perform some needed gelcoat repair
- Prepare escape hatch to hold life raft
- Install and splice Dyneema runners to replace stainless steel runners.
- Install and splice check stays (runners for when mainsail is double-reefed)
- Re-install and test masthead devices
- Repair second spreader mast bracket, and re-install spreaders and standing rigging
- Step mast and re-install below-deck electronics
- May 16 - 61st Larchmont YC Edlu Race
- May 27 - Storm Trysail Club Block Island Race
- June 17 - A 635 nm, doublehanded sail from Newport, RI to St. George's Harbour in Bermuda (and back). I hear some other folks will be sailing this course at the same time. What a coincidence!
- July 15 - Newport YC Offshore 160 (solo)
- July 16-17 & 23-24 - 118th Annual Larchmont YC Race Week (and hopefully participation in the Storm Trysail Foundation's annual junior safety-at-sea seminar)
- July 29 - Newport YC New England Solo/Twin (doublehanded)
- End of July - Sea Cliff YC Around Long Island Regatta
- Boat work as necessary
- Presentation to the Canadian Ocean Racing Academy in Toronto on Mini sailing
- September 2 - Stamford YC Vineyard Race
- September 11 - Port Washington YC Annual Charity Cup Regatta
See you out on the water.